Brussels sprouts. Before you click “back” on your browser in disgust, let me tell you that these little things are one of the best vegetables out there. Seriously. Most of you have had brussels sprouts long ago (most likely boiled till mushy) and decided that you definitely don’t like them. I urge you to give them a second try. This recipe utilizes all of 4 ingredients to make a wonderful sidedish or in my case a hearty, affordable dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Get out a small, glass baking dish.
- Wash and quarter 1 pound of brussels srouts. If they have long or woody stems, chop those off.
- Dice 4 cloves of garlic and 1 large shallot.
- Place garlic, sprouts, and shallot in the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, and toss all ingredients together. Place in the oven.
- While the brussels sprouts are baking, crisp up one half pound of diced bacon.
- The sprouts will be done in 25 minutes. Toss dish together with the crisped bacon. Serve with bread or as a side dish.
Mmm. Don’t those look good. They taste good too! And they are good for you! On an unrelated note, I plan on opening this blog up to friends for posting in order to have more content flowing regularly. Now that I’m cooking only for myself, I often resort to quick and easy (read: un-blogworthy) meals. Stay tuned for new posters…